Shark Week is awesome! Sharks are awesome! Who agrees with me? I am assuming you do since you are here for my Shark Week give-a-way.
Why a Shark Week give-a-way? Because I believe that Shark Week should be an international holiday. I’m just like that. I’m not kidding. Seriously. I’m not. 29 years ago (yes, it’s been that long) Discovery came up with Shark Week to bring awareness to the plight of our planets sharks. I say that like other planets have sharks. That would be the only thing better than sharks…SPACE SHARKS!! What was I talking about? Oh yea. The first Shark Week. The other thing Discovery hoped to accomplish was to end some of the stigmas about sharks, and how they would all eat us if they could. The truth is, more people are killed a year by vending machines and cows than sharks. Somewhere a long the way Shark Week turned into a celebration of shark themed B movies like Sharknado and Sharktopus. In the name of bad special effects, groans, and giggles, that sharks – and our oceans (you can’t have a healthy ocean without sharks) need our help.
Some quick facts:
- Between 79 and 100 million sharks are killed a year by humans. This is either by the big game fishing industry where threatened species are caught (and killed) for sport, as a by catch of commercial fishing (we have dolphin safe tuna, but not shark safe tuna), because of habitat destruction, or for their fins. Shark fins go for $500 USD a pound. You can read more about shark finning here (fair warning, it’s gruesome).
- There are around 440 species of sharks, out of those 146 are either endangered or threatened. That is 1/3rd of our sharks.
- Sharks are a critical component in an ecosystem that provides 1/3 of our world with food, produces more oxygen than all the rainforests combined, removes half of the atmosphere’s manmade carbon dioxide (greenhouse gas), and controls our planet’s temperature and weather. ~ Shark Angels
- Sharks keep the oceans in balance. Remove the top of the food chain and you have a problem.
Sherman’s Lagoon – educational and funny
This brings us to the Shark Week Give-a-Way. This is my way to help spread the shark love.
What do you get? You get a crocheted stuffed Chum the Shark, 4 shark coasters, and at least one mystery item.
Everyone should have a Chum the Shark!
- Contest runs from July 18 to July 28.
- One inner will be chosen at random on July 29th.
- One entry per person (please encourage your friends to enter).
- You need to be willing to provide me with your address if you are chosen the winner where I can ship your items out to you.
- You need to provide a valid email address where you can be contacted in case you win. If I do not have a valid email address I will choose someone else.
- You do not need to be registered on the site to enter.
- Leave a comment on this page telling me why you like shark week, sharks, crochet, crocheted sharks, or just say “hi”. The important thing is you leave a comment. Any vulgar comments will be deleted and you will be disqualified.
- I will cover shipping if the winner lives in the United States. If you live outside the United States you will be asked to cover shipping (international shipping gets expensive).
That’s pretty much it.
Live every week like it’s Shark Week!